Fireworks ride

     In a message dated  Mon, 16 Aug 1999 21:12:15 -0700
     Kimberly Price" <kim@plough-electric.com writes:

     <<Hey, did anyone do the Fireworks 50 by Santa Cruz, CA on the 7th?  I
     <<understand they changed the staging area to a totally new park and
     <<did some other trail changes.  How did you'all like it?

     For this year, the ridecamp moved to a field of brussel sprouts on a
     bluff overlooking Monterey bay.  We had a beautiful sunset.  Actually
     we were in a mowed field right next to the crop rows.  The farmer
     kindly granted permission to cross his property.  I understand that
     camp will return to its normal place next year and that the Santa Cruz
     horseman just received word that the property has been designated a
     park and will be protected forever more.

     We rode the "30" LD ride.  It was in pretty much the same country as
     previous rides, but organized differently.  They rearranged some of
     the trails.  Great rolling hills and single track through Henry Cowell
     Redwoods.  The river crossing caused problems with more than one
     horse.  The water as more than 3 ft deep with large rocks on the
     bottom.  There was at least one cut leg and a pull.

     We grossed out a group of about 15 Japanese tourists that were hiking
     on the dustiest part of the trail.  The poor people were choking and
     every one of them had some item of clothing covering their nose and
     mouth.  They couldn't believe the crazy Americans screaming by on
     horseback.

     As the day progressed we couldn't believe our apparent slow progress.
     "This ride just can't be only 30 miles".  "No way are we going to
     complete on time".  Well, as it turns out, ride management did not use
     any cutoff time.  I contacted the manager on Tuesday and she admitted
     they mad a mistake with the new trails.  She has petitioned AERC for
     credit for 40 miles rather than 30.  I'm not sure about the 50, but I
     think it was pretty close to an honest 50.

     All in all it was a fun ride with about 100 riders.  Beautiful
     weather, great scenery, fun trails.  I'll be back.

     Jack