Fwd: RC: RE: Cause and Effect, horse accidents happen

bobmorris@rmci.net writes:

<<  is interesting that you titled the message as cause and effect. Realize
 that your horse kicking is not just some "out of the air, whim" it is in
 reaction of the interplay between the TWO  horses involved and based on
 senses that you cannot recognize.

If I read correctly, these two riders had been riding together for some time,
not just that day, but as friends do.  As with people, horses do have off
days.  Yes, the rider shouldn't have been that close, but if they always rode
that way you shouldn't really blame the injured rider or horse.  If front
rider knew that her horse kicked I'm sure the second rider would have known
that too as they are friends and rode often.  Since it was a first time kick,
who is to say who is at fault?  If it was my horse that kicked out, I would
disciplined him for his incorrect behavior and know now that my horse will
kick at a "buddy," and hopefully we both (riders) learned a lesson.  I know
it was the horse that kicked, but remember, they usually give a signal first,
ears back, swishing of tail, mood change, etc., and the rider of said horse
should know her animal well enough to read these signs and take control.
I know there will be lots of people flaming me for this, but it is up to us
as riders to be responsible for our horses.
Keri

---- Begin included message ----
It is interesting that you titled the message as cause and effect. Realize
that your horse kicking is not just some "out of the air, whim" it is in
reaction of the interplay between the TWO  horses involved and based on
senses that you cannot recognize.

Your horse was kicking in the normal manner of one provoked, i.e. to give a
warning by just missing the provoking horse's shoulder. Sadly to say that is
where the rides knee most likely will be at the time.

NOW,  are you to punish your horse when provoked by another? Yes, it is fine
to say you should turn the other cheek but that is for humans. Animals do
not react in such a manner!

Then there is the thought, why was your friend that close to your horse.
Courtesy demands at least  one horse length between horses. Perhaps there
was a very good reason for your horse to kick in warning. Again, sorry
friend, but you were endangering both your self and the rider in front of
you.  I feel, having been there myself many times, that the blame should be
placed on the party that causes the action. NO PROXIMITY NO INJURY!

To often the horse in front is blamed and the rider is caught up in the
controversy when the person who caused the problem, while injured, gets the
sympathy while also they should be getting the blame.

I am ready to defend this position with equine psychology, actual experience
and anecdotal evidence. Any one want to dispute or flame me go to it.

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID