Fwd: RC: Kickers

In a message dated 8/10/99 8:18:45 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
ralston@AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU writes:

<< the other thing I HATE at rides are the hot shoes who literally gallop
 by you, especially on narrow trails when they can see your horse is having
 mind farts (or know that your horse is prone to such problems). A little
 courtesy-slow down to a trot, give the person you are passing time to
 collect their horse before passing and hold that trot for a min >>

Other riders may not know your horse has a problem but no matter who or what,
riders should NEVER gallop past another rider. Besides being something my mom
called common courtesy (seems like uncommon courtesy these days), is a bad
memory for me of some slimeball doing this a few years ago in the park - he
smashed his foot into my STIRRUP!Well, not being a very accomplished rider
(hence the showing off I assume), having lost his stirrup, he made an
'emergency dimount" (inadvertently I believe!) Had the nerve to start yelling
at me until my rather stalwart black mare got REALLLLY close to his big feet
and bigger mouth. He backed off as fast as his horse, and after remounting
(looked rather like Humpty Dumpty after his great fall) trotted off bobbing
and weaving. No wonder he galloped - he couldn't stay on very well at the
other gait! So what do I think of these darned fools who think their hormones
MUST show? After considering they must be poor riders who can't RIDE at the
trot, I pratice the sashay!
san

---- Begin included message ----
Just my two cents worth-as the rider of a mare who has been known to kick,
my response to Angie's "If we're on a two track trail and I want to
pass...do I just get within about a length and then *jump* your kicker?" is
no, but if you ask me politely and give me a few seconds I will gladly find
a place I can safely back my mare's firing end into the trees so you can
pass safely (She has not been known to strike or bite). She usually gives
me plenty of warning, so it is not difficult to warn people who are
violating her space, if the do so at a reasonable speed! It is amazing to
me the number of people who ignore her prominent red ribbon, which she
sports from the minute she arrives at a ride to until we get home, and are
actually surprised or unconcerned when I have to tell them in no uncertain
terms she is GOING to kick if they don't back off! I chastise her for even
pinning her ears and am very careful to keep her rear end away from others,
if possible. She has gotten better but knowing her as I do, I will never
100% trust her not to let fly. Caveat RIDERS!

BTW_ the other thing I HATE at rides are the hot shoes who literally gallop
by you, especially on narrow trails when they can see your horse is having
mind farts (or know that your horse is prone to such problems). A little
courtesy-slow down to a trot, give the person you are passing time to
collect their horse before passing and hold that trot for a minute or two
after passing to avoid engendering thought of the Kentucky Derby in the
horse being passed. This occurred most frequently to me at CTRs-so the
whole racing issue doesn't even apply!!

Sarah and Fling (Hey, Mom-I'm getting bored-My neck and back are all better
(it was caused by my fighting her mind farts). Stop fussing with your dying
garden and lets go RIDING!)

---- End included message ----