Lyme disease [update]

Hello All,
thought I'd update the group with Klassy's Lyme disease experience.
By way of brief history, Klassy is in the Hudson Valley of NY, about
100 miles north of NY city.  Last fall I saw many deer ticks on her
and removed several wood ticks.  Seemed to be fine all winter, but in
March developed a hard to diagnose lameness, very high up in the hind
end.  Would sort of shuffle in back, could not really step under
herself and push.  I immediately tested her for Lyme, and yes, she
had a very high titer.  When lunged she would appear more lame on the
outside leg, whichever direction.  She has now had 3 courses of
antiobiotics, each lasting 2 weeks.  Her titer is gradually dropping.
 Her lameness seemed unimproved till June when I had the vet do
accupuncture, with B12 injections at the site.  This resulted in
marked improvement.  She is now [5 months later] being longed 2 days
a week in loosely fitted side reins, and hand jogged for 20 minutes
2-3 days a week.  We just got clearance to begin riding at the walk,
but dismounting and jogging! her up any hills.   In our barn, 4 out
10  horses have presented similar symptoms:  3 have tested positive
for Lyme disease.  This seems a rather frightening rate of infection.
She still has not fully regained her complete high spirits [maybe she
is just getting fat and lazy, despite the drought and lack of
grass!].  Well, thought I'd share our progress should anyone else out
there in Lyme disease areas [northern CA, mid Atlantic, north central
 and northeast and who knows where else?]
Regards,
Beth Glace
New Paltz, NY
Beth Glace, MS, CDN
Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma
Lenox Hill Hospital
New York, NY