kicking

I am also an unfortunate person who has a mare that will kick on the trail.
   I have to ride on a constant guard and communicate with her all along
not to do this.   We now understand each other & I can just give her a "no"
quietly and a little leg pressure and she behaves.   Every time I think
that we are over this, she tests me again.  I think that we are w/ this for
life.   She does only do this to horses that she is unfamiliar with (go
figure - in an endurance ride).   Anyway, she does wear her red ribbon & I
am paranoid of her hurting another horse or a person.  She has never made
contact w/ another horse because I  really stay on top of this situation.

BUT,  if someone has their horse too close that contact is made .... they
are too close !!    I have seen horses that you would never expect to do
this, kick out under stressful situations.   So,  if you see a red ribbon,
please do not crowd  -  I will move over for you if needed and I always do.

Yea, my mare is a B____, but, she's mine & I'm stuck w/ her & she w/ me.
 But, coming from someone who rides a known kicker (& maybe only others in
my situation will really understand),  we've all gotta work together for
the safety of everyone.     I will continue to train & reprimand my mare
for even "thinking" about kicking on the trail -   please do your part as
well  -  you may end up in my situation one day.

As long as I'm rolling ...... PLEASE pay attention at vet checks too .....
these are horses w/ emotions - not automobiles w/ a key.   eeeeeh  -  hope
I don't need someone's flame suit ..... back to lurking

p.s.    For those w/ this problem, I have started my mare on progesterone
to calm her heat cycles & at the last ride, she did not even test me.
But, I'll always keep that red ribbon.  Heck, I've even put it on when
riding my husband's easy to get along w/ gelding just to keep an unknown
horse nose out of his butt !!     (I have worked hard to train my horses to
keep that horse length, so I am a lil' testy on this sub)

Christy
logan@etex.net