Equine Brain Farts (was Self Preservation)

Maureen A. Fager Maureen_Fager@mei.memec.com
Hello!
Having ridden my pasture-raised, oat fed 1/2 Arab
through many a brain fart/shying episode, I would like
to add my 2 cents worth.  When my horse, Blaze, was 4-5 years
old, one of his favorite things was to suddenly spring from the
ground and twist his body,got so bad that I began calling
this behaviour "Airs Above the Ground" and one of my frequent
riding buddies began calling him an "Air-Rab."

He also went throuh shying spells, and at one point he got so
bad after learning he could dump me by doing 180 spins, that I
began to do some intensive ground work, which included round pen
work and also saddling him in his paddock, whithout a halter on,
and moving him off if he did'nt stand still (my saddle was old
and beat to heck so it did'nt matter if it fell off.) I also
punished him if I felt a spook was due to him being an obniouxus
jerk.

Howere, what helped Blaze and I most was my realization that
Blaze was a young horse, and he needed riding.  Also, I tried
to adopt a "matter-of-fact" attitude towards spooks-kick on
and keep his nose pointed down trail.  Lots of riding and
consistant matter-of-fact attitude towards spooks has served
us well.

Blaze is 9 now and is becomming quite a "steady Eddie."  That
does'nt mean he doesn't have his moments. He did try to kill
us a couple of years ago by shying big-time at tiny aspen tree
leaves shaking in a gentle breeze.  He still is a horse, and he
does not understand the consequenses of his actions (ie. jumping
into a busy road WILL kill you!)

For your horse, ultimately, only you can decide if he will be a
good trail prospect.  I would suggest a few ideas, ride your
frequently, whether in the arena or on the trail, I firmly
believe the old saw "wet saddle blankets make good horses."
Don't take safety for granted ever, if your nervous about
trail riding alone, don't do it.  If you do trail ride alone,
try to pick out the safest, least hazardous route availible.
Remember, your horse is still young, and I feel that some young
horses need time to mentaly mature, I feel Blaze did, so hang in there.  If however, you feel he is not to be a trail horse, don't
hesitate to take him off the trail.  It can take time to have a seasoned trail horse, they are worth it, but it can take some work, and as I know from pesonal experience, sometimes some falls and scary incidents are in the cards.  Good Luck!

Maureen and Blaze (I'm shaking at the Quaking Aspen trees!!)

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-