out of hand I thinks

This whole thing over the *accident*, breast collars etc is out of hand.
Since I either started it or was quick to jump on the band wagon, I'm going
to clarify a couple things.  First the breast collar incident came up as a
response to several posts compaining about the Tevis ride allowing *first
time riders* and how that is the reason for accidents/pulls/ and what have
you.  I brought up the fact that I had witnessed the results of two
accidents on two different rides caused by the saddle slipping back.  In
neither instance did the rider have on a breast collar and in both cases
the riders were not novices to the sport.  I also stated that I was raised
to use a breast collar particularly in the mountains but I also stated that
not all agreed with that.  I also stated that if we were going to start
making *rules* about who could and could not enter rides, then maybe we
should look at some of the behavior of *experienced* endurance riders.
Much of what I said was said with tongue in cheek to demonstrate what I
considered to be the absurdity(sp) of some of the statements that were
being made.

Think we need to lighten up.  We all agree that accidents do happen in this
sport as well as most others, that we all wish for the speedy recovery of
all who were injured on this ride(horse and human)no matter to what degree
and not bring personal stuff into this.  If some or all of us can learn one
thing to ponder that might improve our own safety record then that's a good
thing.  On that note I bid you a fond *Good Nite!*

Sharon, West Region
AERC# 1770