Re: RC: How many of you started riding after age 40?

Naztari@aol.com wrote:

> Here is a question for some of you. My wife has generally been afraid of horses. That seems to be changing and she actually took her first riding lesson tonight. She was a little apprehensive but after a little bit she relaxed some and did alright with the lesson. I told her that some of you out there had started riding late like her and that before long she would be able to ride comfortably if not expertly. She was curious to hear some of your stories about how you got started after 40.
> Thanks
> Ed Roley ...

Ed,

I started riding when I was 42. That was 5 years ago and I haven't
regretted it once. I started riding for a number of reasons. Number one:
I've always loved the outdoors and animals. Athletics has been a thing
I've also enjoyed and had success in. Up until 5 years ago I was either
a dependent of a miliatry family or I was serving myself in the Air
Force. When I retired from the Air Force I was determined to only work
part time so I could enjoy my kids as they grew up. I also wanted to get
into a family activity everyone would enjoy together.

Having never ridden before 5 years ago, I asked some friends to help us
learn more about what horsing around could mean for a family. We went to
local shows and fun days and the kids entered some events on our friends
horses. We had such a great time.

I was hooked and so were the kids. My husband has come along as a fix it
guy but this spring we went to the state fair in March and he fell in
love with a 2 yr old we just had to buy for him as a future endurance
mount.

I bought my first horse 5 years ago and he is now 8. He was a green
broke 3yo arab and he and I learned to trust each other from the start.
Looking back there were so many things I could have done wrong and
gotten into trouble, but I was sensible and safe when riding. I took a
lesson every couple weeks for about 6 months and rode trails 3-4 times
weekly mostly alone..... and by the grace of God nothing serious ever
happened while we were out there alone. I carried a cell phone if I ever
had a problem, I could be linked with help. Knowing what can happen now
I look back and am amazed I'm still riding and relatively speaking
really uninjured. Of course I've had spills, but have always worn a
helmet and that has saved me at least twice from a real bad concussion.

Since my first horse we have bought 2 more, the second also green broke
and has turned out just fine, the third our new 3yo who I will learn to
sack out and train to saddle this fall and next summer green break when
he's 4.

I think the thing I love so much about horsemanship is that it is such a
relationship oriented sport. Everything about it is based on building a
trust relationship between I believe God's most noble animal and man.
It's an amazing relationship! We've enjoyed the endurance community so
much because it is so family oriented and humane to the animals we so
dearly love. Although we haven't done our first 50 yet, we're working
safely toward those goals of testing our potential as a team. While we
strive to achieve those goals we'll enjoy each other, learn more, and
appreciate the gorgeous trails our good Lord has given us to enjoy while
we're together.

Susan and our herd of 3: Sabian, Fly Bye, and Yankee Dandy