Breast collar discussion

	I would like to echo Michelle's comment on the value of the discussion
regarding
breast plates. Last year I was technically a "newbie" as a rider, since as
a vet at rides I never thought much about the various tack options other
than the obvious concerns about saddle fit, etc. The only real "hills"
I'd ridden Fling on were in New Jersey (nuff said), though I'd ridden her
dam, Folly, (a totally different back type) in the Rocky Mountains without
a breast plate for years without a problem. So when I
tackled my first TRULY hilly ride-the New York 3-day 100, I never even
thought of there being a problem without one. We were fine the first day,
but the second day I added another saddle pad and we were confronted with
an infamous hill-straight up for what seemed like 1/2 mile(the NY 100
experts on the list will know which one I mean). About 1/2 way up I felt
the saddle start to slip back and there was absolutely no place to get off
trail, people were behind me and fling was motoring on! I grabbed a fist
full of mane just behind the bridle path, squeezed with my knees and tried
to pull the blasted saddle forward with all my might as we struggled on. My
feet were bumping her stifles. WE made it to the top (of course there were
judges there, just shaking their heads at me as i ride by with my cantle
two inches behind her "jumping bump". Thank God that A: she didn't freakn
out until I got her off trail and let her "buddy" go on down the trail
without her and B: she has a fairly long back so the girth was still at
least in contact with her barrel! I attribute her lack of reaction to my
wierd position to the fact that I to ride bareback a lot and have ended up
any where from her poll to her tail on various occasions (VBG). You'd think
I'd have learned from that but it took me hanging around camp the day
before the OD 50 this year and talking to people I knew knew the trail
better than I know my back yard (You don't have a breast plate? are you
Nuts!) before I ran over to Teddy's shop (Thank you for being there!) and
selected a lovely bright green fuzzy one (I said at least they'd be able to
find us when i inevitably got lost-another story for another time). It may
shock some of you, but I have been riding for over 35 years and never had
used a breast plate and never even considered a need for one-I had to ask
for help in adjusting it properly(Thanks again, Teddy and Ellen!). But,
BOY, was I glad I had it that day!. Plus we used at our second attempt at
the NY100 and made it up the nasty hill the second day without so much as a
wiggle (Hmmm-the hill sure seemed a lot smaller and less steep this
time(VBG)). Sooo-guess as has been said before, depends on horses and rider
if one is necessary, but if I know there are going to be big hills, Fling's
going to be wearin'o'the green from now on. Doubt if I'll bother, however,
for our Pine Barren type rides-as someone said, just one more thing to
worry about!
Sarah and Fling (Boy, it's been a hot vacation, Mom-can you make it cool
off so we can go riding again?)