Re: RC: Cause and Effect, horse accidents happen

Ridecamp,

I would like to add a few thoughts which have come to mind as I read over and
over again this debate about accidents riding the Tevis.
We all sign a waver, taking responsibility for ourselves before riding a
horse in any activity.  That is because accidents happen frequently around
horses.  In fact, we admit that there is no such thing as a totally bomb
proof horse.
Most tack manufacturers put a disclaimer on their products, a 1000 Lb. horse
can break tack, and regularly does.  He also gets loose from electric fences,
portable corrals, high lines, and from hand while being led, or while being
ridden.  All are considered accidents.
In my time on Ridecamp I have read of many horses being loose on the trails,
frequently from the horse tossing a rider.  Now I would not want to say a
thing about these riders ability or character.  Who among you has not gone
off your horse.  Well, if any answered "not I," your turn will come!
There are inherent risks which go along with riding a horse, as there are
with driving a car, flying a plane, or eating a meal.  In a situation of 200
horses traveling at speed over an unfamiliar trail, this risk mounts
tremendously.  Has there been a Tevis ride without horses pulled in the last
30 years?  Has there been a ride without some kind of injury to a rider in
that time?
WE in the American/British sports culture do not stop a game because a player
receives an injury.  We also do not go after the player who accidentally
causes the injury while playing the game.  It is just not done.  Football,
Basketball, Baseball, Soccer, Hockey, Horse Races, Bike Races, all have
players removed from the field due to injuries, and the game or race goes on.
Endurance is a sport involving horses, there will be injuries.  Don't play if
you cannot accept them.  Please do not look to blame someone because of a
breast collar, stirrup leather, rein, halter, hot wire, or horse behavior
incident.
I am personally very sorry that anyone was injured, as I am sure we all are.
I also am sorry when I hear of a horse being injured.  Horse accidents will
happen to the best of us, just read the past posts.  This is not a sport for
the faint of heart.  Please do not dress us all in cotton padding for safety
sake.  Please do not put races just on flat groomed trails.  Please do not
insist that riders leave the starting line at 5 minute intervals so the start
will be safer.  Please do not remove the "Race" from Endurance.  Please do
not look for a scape goat to blame when there is an accident.  There are
other horse sports for riders who want less risk.  Endurance is at the grater
risk end of the horse use spectrum.  That is why we can consider we have
really succeeded when we finish a race.  To finish is to win!  We could not
say this if it was easy to accomplish.

Lynge Simoni
San Jose