Round the World Rider

ROUND THE WORLD ON HORSEBACK.

The last leg of a round the world journey on horseback will begin on
Thursday, August 5, 1999 at Point Reyes.  Actually on Wednesday, August 3
Manfred will ride to the ocean and back to officially start at the waters
edge.

At 9:30 a.m. on the morning of Thursday, August 5, 1999 at the Point Reyes
Visitor's center Manfred will start his journey on horseback. Leaving there
he will travel with San Rafael's Connie Berto, a trails advocate and
activist in keeping horse trails and stables open for horses in Marin County
will guide him on horseback through Lucas Valley to San Rafael.  Connie's
horse is a purebred Morgan she rides Endurance.  These horses can go 50-100
miles in one day, although Manfred's schedule is 20-30 miles per day.

Friday, August 6, 8:30 a.m. start at Alvarado Park staging area in Richmond
and ride to Heather Farms, Walnut Creek or to the Castle Rock Park. There
will be barbecue dinner for Manfred at 7:30 p.m. near Castle Rock Park.

Saturday, August 7, 9:00 a.m. leave Castle Rock Park and ride over Mt.
Diablo to Clayton, welcoming party at 6:30 p.m. at the Concord-Mt. Diablo
Trail Ride Association where he will stay overnight.

Sunday, August 8, 8:30 a.m. leave Concord Mt. Diablo Trail Ride Association
and ride to Antioch on the American Discovery Trail through Clayton.

An update and further information on his itinerary will be sent in the next
couple of days.

Manfred Schulze (his own statement)
Around the World with two horses
Trips around the world have been made in various ways, by foot bike with
Ships, planes cars and most recently by balloon.

But never before has man dared to tackle this task on horseback.
Theoretically it has been possible for a long time but it needed the
changes in eastern Europe and Asia.

>> I decided to take two horses for the whole trip instead of using whatever
>> horses are available in the various countries. I am determined to complete
>> this journey with both horses in sound condition--a task I'm not only
>> determined, but also obliged to do because I love my horses.
>>
>> So far, I have been able to get around three-quarters of the earth. It was
>> also the most difficult and challenging part. It seems possible now to
>> think  that I can really achieve my goal of being the first man traveling
round
>> the  earth on horseback.
>>
>> This could also be possible because I have chosen the right kind of horse.
>> A breed named Hucul.  It is a direct descendent of the European Wild Horse
>> of the ice age called Tarpan. Hardiness, soundness, a will to please and
>> an iron constitution as well as the ability to thrive on very little food are
>> the most characteristic features of these horses.

Start of Journey: April 7, 1996 (Easter Sunday) in Geisenheim, Germany, a
small town on the Rhine River. Direction: East.
Horses: Names: Puschkin, a gelding 7 years at the beginning of the
journey. He is very self assured, strong willed and extremely intelligent.
Panca, mare. Half sister to Puschkin, is getting moreand more self assured
gentle, affectionate. 5 years at the beginning of the Journey.
Breed: Hucul
Height 4.7 feet at the withers.
>> Color: wintercoat dark grulla, in summer often much lighter with a touch
>> of tan.
>>
>> Me: Manfred Schulze, German. HEight 5.6 feet. Weight 120 pounds, 53 years
>> at
>> the beginning of the journey. Married. Two adult children.
>>
>> I grew up with horses, used to ride hunter jumpers nad did modern pentathion
>> as a kid.
>>
>> Journey so far: 1996 within six months, 2700 miles across Germany, Poland,
>> Ukrainia, southern Russia. The horses were wintered in Leninsk, 30 miles
>> east of Wolgograd.
>>
>> For 560 miles Panca traveled as a pack horse while Puschkin is ridden.
>> After
>> that I broke both to drive and hitched them to a covered wagon, with which
>> we three worked our way to Leninsk.
>>
>> 1997: Within five months, 4000 miles across southern Russia, Kasachztan,
>> Altai Mountains,  Mongolia. Second winter is spent in Ulan Bator, the
>> capital
>> of Mongolia.
>>
>> This enormous trip was possible only because I had a pit car and a horse
>> trailer from Leninsk on. It enabled me to carry enough water, feed
>> and  shoing material forthe horses.  The drivers were various native people
>> familiar with the terrain and state customs.  Along the road I did my own
>> shoeing, using pre fabricated shoes with vidia nails to prevent slipping
>> on
>> paved roads. To my surprise both horses traveled without problems even
>> after  the shoes were removed during the winter pause.  1750 miles barefoot
>> without any problems before I put the shoes back on.
>>
>> I changed horses two to four times daily,  ponying the one not being
>> ridden. Each day I rode about eight to ten hours covering around 30 miles.
>> After six to eight days the horses have one day off.  During breaks and at
night  the horses are kept within a portable electric fence.