Re: Water evasion

In a message dated 1/22/99 12:20:40 PM Pacific Standard Time,
fasterhorses@gilanet.com writes:

<< I haven't made that distinction
 quite clearly in my mind up till now, but I think that conditioning
 rides might work out better for all involved if they were just for
 conditioning - because if the point of conditioning is (hopefully) to
 take a trained horse & improve him/her mentally & physically with the
 aim of competing, then maybe sticking training lessons in a conditioning
 ride is not a good idea.  When I think back, I remember that I have had
 MUCH more patience when I went out figuring on training, then when I
 went out intending to condition & then had to change the program
 mid-stream, so to speak, and train. >>

I consider EVERY ride I go on to be a training ride, even if conditioning is
also the goal.  Everything we do with a horse invites a response from the
horse and adds to his memory of what happens when we interact, and that is
what training is all about.

Heidi