Re: Dry ice for cooling food

Hi Monika - "Where can you buy dry ice?"  Here in NM we can buy dry ice
in grocery stores, and most places that sell hunting/camping
equipment.   But you can get it at a welding supply or ask them where to
get it.

"Also, you didn't explain blue ice."  Blue Ice is I guess a brand name
that I'm using generically for those usually blue colored, plastic
containers with some chemical or other liquid stuff inside that you
freeze, then use like ice cubes except they don't melt.  They do come
ice cube sized, but for camping we use the ones that are about 1 1/2" X
8" x 8" or so.  But they come in lots of different shapes & even soft &
flexible.  They don't melt down to water, so if you want to keep your
food from getting soggy, they're good.

"And, the dry ice is simply a freezing agent. You don't put it on
anything, just leave at the bottom of the cooler. so to speak?"  Yeah,
we put it on the top of everything because cold air drops, warm air goes
up.  And, like I said in my post, we use the dry ice to freeze the blue
ices, the blue ices to keep the coolers cold.  But you could use just a
small chunk of dry ice in one cooler - just taking care to keep it from
directly touching anything because of their extreeeeeeme cold.

And as Connie says, putting dry ice in soapy water is even more fun than
putting it in plain water!  (Amazing how some of us can be amused by the
simple little things of life!)  Lif

--

Lif & Paul Strand   STRAND ENTERPRISES   www.fasterhorses.com