Re: Western Saddles for Endurance

In a message dated 1/20/99 2:27:07 PM EST, santafe@eudoramail.com writes:

<< I have a simple saddle question.  I have not ridden in any rides yet but I
look forward to maybe doing a 25 miler or two this year.  I was reading over
the AERC website and noticed it said that western saddles are the worst type
of saddle to use on an endurance ride.  I use a western saddle now and it is
what I like.  I was wondering how many of you use a western saddle?  Also what
is everyone elses' preference?   Thanks.

I don't ride in a western saddle, but, I feel that if your saddle fits your
horse and your bottom well, use it.  Endurance folks usually like a well
fitted saddle that is as lightweight as possible.  Western saddles usually
don't fit the bill, but, if you like it and your horse likes it, then ride in
it.  I see lots of western saddles here in the SE at rides.
Leigh