Re: Bone Spavin

Diane,

A 2 y.o. Arab filly at my barn has been diagnoised with bone spavin in one
hock.  The vet involved has a good reputation for dealing with lameness
problems.

His perscription for the filly has been stall rest AND injections of Adequin
and Cosequin added to feed.  The filly is allowed out in a round pen for 2
hours a day.

This filly was very lame.  This treatment has been in process for at least 2
months and she is now fairly sound when turned out.  Of course, we are not
considering her "healed", but she is improving.

The vet made no bones about this horse ever being used for more than light
riding.  It will be a long time before she ever feels a saddle on her back.

The Adequin injections are very expensive and the Cosequin isn't cheap either,
but it is an option that may work.

Ellen
Memphis