water evasion/sorta

<laughing> Now I know I don't have the only mare in the world that does
this. She used to hate water, we got over that, now we get in water and she
stands. Puts nose down, drinks. Sloshes water around in neat circles with
nose. Paws water. Stands. Rider says "Let's go". Horse says "Now wait! I'm
still thirsty" Nose goes back down, but no swallowing occurs. Licks water.
Sticks whole head in water up to eyeballs and sloshes more circles. Paws
water all over. Soaks rider. Stands. "Rider says, "Lets go" while trying not
to laugh too hard. Horse acts like she's dying of thirst and drops her head
back into water. Sloshes/immerses face/ paws/licks water. Amusement value
starts to dissipate and rider insists it's time to go while mare looks
wistfully back at the water...

Seriously now, she'll move out when I ask her to - it's no problem and
really very amusing - we even draw a crowd when we ride through a local
business complex that has a really neat pond to ride through. Other than a
young filly I once had, who made a disaster zone out of the water tubs from
playing incessantly in them, this mare is the most playful in water I have
ever seen. I believe that one should allow the horses this small amount of
fun, so long as they don't use it as extensive evasion - she moves out when
I say WALK like I mean it, and that's sufficient.