Re: horse

> From: Tamara Keller
> Email: ckellerfarm@stellarnet.com
>
> > I have a 8 year old arab mare and would like to try a distance ride later in the year. It is to cold and to much snow to ride atleast until late April
> here in N.D.

Hi Tamara,
Where are you from in ND? First I must disagree with that fact that it
is too cold and too much snow. Right now it is 18 degrees Farinhet out
here and if you dress right that is plenty warm to go riding. I will
ride untill it gets below zero. We are further south then the Canadians
and they ride through the winter at even colder temperatures then that!
Plus the snow is a great conditioning tool. Similar somewhat to riding
in sand. That way you can get a great workout without having to spend as
much time in the cold. But be careful that you do not over do it in the
snow, you can strain muscles. Gradually work up to more time in the
snow.

Another advantage to riding horses in the snow is they learn good
balance. Plus snow is a blast to ride in. The horses are frisky and once
they get use to riding in the snow, they will plow right through it. It
is fun. I feel sorry for those poor southern people who never have the
chance to ride in the snow.

>   What can I do now for my horse to made it easyer for her this spring. My horses are kept out side with a run in. Ihave 6 arabs and do not belive in stalls. They are feed 2 qt. horse feed and free chioce mixed hay. And all ways hace water.

Don't let her get too fat. Hard to get all of that extra weight off in
the spring when you start conditioning. Or the other way around, don't
let her get too thin. What is her condition like now? How much has she
been ridden?

I do not plan on a ride until late summer , and I'am trying to read all
I can about it.

What ride are you planning on? So far in ND there are two rides in the
plans, the 7E Barn Burner by Towner in Sept. and the Long X ride in the
Badlands in August.

I guess I just want to know if there is any thing I am missing that I
shoud be doing for my horse.

Ya, riding her. Then you can try a ride earlier then fall.

Lynette Helgeson
From the North of North Dakota. (Only the tough go North!)