Re: Standardbred correction/saddlebred

Ina Hutchings

Saddlebred/Arab crosses makes great endurance horses. They tend to be fast,
smooth and less spooky than pure arabs. I have both a Saddlebred stallion and
an Arab stallion. The Saddlebred is a fine horse who can be handled and ridden
by children while the Arab stallion does not allow many people in his space
and can be dangerous to handle. The Arab stallion crossed to Saddlebred mares
produces horses with great drive. Last fall in a 25 LD and 50 Endurance ride
there were 6 horses with Saddlebred blood in them (5 were from my breeding
program) of which they took first in the 50 (partbred), third in the 50 (full
Saddlebred) and 2nd (partbred), 3rd (full Saddlebred) and 4th in the 25 LD
(full Saddlebred).

My Saddlebred/Arab cross has competed for the region 17 Championship twice
seven years apart and has won both times. He has done 60 miles in 5 hours and
12 minutes at a trot and every cross that I have seen compete has shown lots
of potential and riders always comment about the smooth ride and great
trotting ability.

If I am passionate about something it would be the Saddlebred's ability to be
a great doing horse rather than be thought of as a show animal. (I don't mind
that they are gorgeous to look at)

Saddlebred/Arab crosses tend to have great feet and lots of bone with very
free moving shoulders. They are calmer and do not tend to have the tendon
problems in the front end that a lot of pure Arabs have. I run my horses
barefoot unless they are going to race in very rocky terrain.

They have good recovery times and are great learners. Yesterday my son who is
14 years old put the first ride on his colt and it had not been in the round
pen more than a dozen times in the last 5 months. The colt did not even think
of bucking but went without causing a concern. With all the horses of
Saddlebred breeding that I have started non of them bucked.

The Saddlebreds are also a long lived breed as the Arabs and do not tend to
have breed specific diseases like Quarter horses, TB, etc.

I do not want people to think that I do not respect the Arabian breed as they
are great horses but think that Saddlebreds have lots to offer as well and the
combination of the two is sometimes unbeatable.

Bottom line, I strongly suggest you look at a cross.

Jerald Theism
Sandhaven Saddlebreds