Re: Spider wrap

Two years ago a local horse/small/large animal vet hospital did a series of clinics in the winter for horse owners on health, safety, breeding, etc issues. I took as many of my 4-H kids as I could to watch, cause it was excellent info! Anyways, I remember the session on wound care and the spider wrap...

<<<....Hmmm.  If I remember
correctly, he placed it OVER the other leg wrap layers - simply one long,
rectangular piece of material simply covering the cannon bone, and I
believe, down to the pasturn with the edges (i.e. long-fringed edges)
meeting in the front of the leg.  Then the fringe is BRAIDED together
down the front of the leg.  >>>

Ok, since we learned it for wound care, it had gauze, cotton and whatever else you needed underneath the spider... We practiced actually wrapping a fake (plastic) hind leg, and we knotted the strands. We started at the top strand, knotted it, then started the next strand, with the above one underneath! (looked like a braid) Thus, keeping it from getting caught and untied, nibbled on, etc and making it look nice and pretty. I'd have to either check my notes, or ask the vet whether or not we tied it on the side or the front, but I'm thinking it was the side.... I may be wrong tho. It can also be used on the hocks or knees, because it can move and shift w/ the movement.

<<<The reason for this contraption? To gently
hold the underwrap together, but letting the leg breathe, or letting the
leg move easily - not be too controlled by the wrap. (You know, it
probably wasn't a regular wrap underneath, but more like a poultice.)  He
said it's an oldie that not many people do these days.  Hmmmm.  Working
at a horse show more recently, a trainer had heard of this spider wrap
deal.  What do ya'll know about this?  Only the oldies know about spider
wrap??  Any youngies?????   >>>>

Well, we were taught it was a compression type wrap, that moved w/ the horse..... but almost the same premise.
Do I qualify as a youngy? I just turned 19 the end of May.......and the vet who taught us is only in her early 40's.

Marlana Pitas & LL Rheebok (Mom? There's a spider on my leg?? Where??)
South Attleboro, MA
http://users.tp.net/lrp