VT100 & Over-riding (humidity is the culprit)

Barb Peck bpeck@together.net
Barb Peck
bpeck@together.net

Beth note about the VT 100 could have been written about the NY 100 CTR in Brookfield NY the weekend of the 4th of July.

The NY CTR is a  40/40/20 and most horses made it through the first day with something like >40% pulled the second day.
 There were alot of horses just lined up and on IV bags.
 The finish rate for this CTR was *very* low.

I was surprised no one posted to RideCamp.  The weather that weekend was similar to the VT100.

As a matter of fact the weather here has been unusually hot AND
humid.. with humidity levels way above and for longer durations
from what most people are used to in the NE.
Some mornings at 7am it's 75 to 80 degrees and the humidity is
80% on the valley floors (where I live).  The temp will rise to 90 degrees and the humidity will drop to 40-50% by afternoon then rise again.

I take my hat off to the people who conditioned properly.

I have 2 horses, one that will go till she has a heart attack
or blows a lung (if I'd let her) and most people say "she has heart".  I have a gelding that will slow down if he's pushed too hard, and the same people call him "lazy"... but I know he's the smarter horse.

I think Teddy's right on.

** It's my view that smart riders have to use their heads...
 for their horses that use their hearts..  and visa-versa. ***

Barb Peck, in Northern Vt.. where the humidity is building again
after 2 cool days and 45 degree nites.

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-