Tevis Vet Research Assistants Needed!

URGENT request for volunteers:

Continuing research into the performance factors of Endurance Equines is planned
to take place this year during the Tevis Cup Ride Event, this coming weekend,
July 23rd, 24th and 25th.

Starting at the pre-Ride Vet-in at Robie Park, each rider's mount will be
weighed on a low platform scale, specially configured to assure maximum safety
for the animals being weighed (no rails or other obstructions.)

We need at least two volunteers willing to help Dr. Steve Leonard with the setup
of the scales on Friday morning and then to "work the scales" with clipboard in
hand, recording the weight of each entrant.  These volunteers will then be
needed to assist with reloading the scales onto Dr. Leonard's truck (or rounding
up a "spot" volunteer or two to assist.)  The setup and data gathering process
will be repeated at Foresthill and at the Finish.

> If you would like to volunteer, please reply to to me as soon as possible at
> mailto:trailride@foothill.net or call me at one of the numbers below.

Note that this is a sizable commitment of time and effort for these volunteers.
Their assistance will be necessary most of Friday, plus all of Saturday during
the day and all night until the last riders are in early Sunday morning.  Having
more than just two volunteers will allow for a rotation among weight takers.

> Reward: Recognition for a job well-done, plus a 1999 Tevis Volunteer T-Shirt.

Although participation in this research effort is not mandatory on the part of
Tevis participants, we hope that most, if not all, will recognize the huge
benefits to all Endurance riders that derive from these efforts.

Related research undertaken at the HorsExpo event in Sacramento earlier this
summer showed that some horses loose from 50 to 70 pounds over a period of a few
hours exertion and then gain back a high percentage of it during recovery.  The
weight measurements during Tevis this year will aid in assessing, for example,
what is the "normal" range of weight loss and recovery for events of this sort.

/richard goodwin, teviswebguy

--
    Natalie's Barn & Breakfast -- a B&B for Horses ...and their Riders
    http://www.natbarn.com  (530) 637-4644  or tollfree 1-877-NATBARN