VT100

Hi  - I was vet recorder for Nancy Elliott at the Vermont 100 - an
excellent experience! I can add a few things to the knowledge of
results. I didn't stay for the awards, either - it was too damn hot to
stand in that indoor arena with hundreds of people all eating barbeque!
I watched the finish of the 50 and recorded the BC judging, so I know a
bit about that:

Sue Greenall was first, with Shyrocco Jazz (half-Arab gelding)
Connie Walker was second, with DML Smoke Silver (Arab gelding) - she was
originally ahead by about one hour, but got lost on the last leg of the
trip and went 6 miles out of her way before getting back on track.
Kathy Downs was third, with Mazzie (bay gelding, I think he was a pure
Arab) - he was BC

These three riders came in within 20 minutes of each other. The rest of
the finishers came in at least an hour later, so nobody else stood for
BC.

On the 100 - only six finished. Steve Rojek was leading by about an
hour, but was pulled at 84.5 miles for a bruised foot. The horse was
Zeppelin (pastel-pinto half-Arab gelding).

Lucy Snook took first with Alander ( 12 yr. old grey gelding) -
Apparently, this horse is now owned by 'the Arabs' but Lucy is still
competing him. I saw him at 84.5 miles and he looked great.

Stagg Newman was second. His horse was a grey gelding - didn't catch the
name. When I saw him at mile 84.5, he was about one hour behind Lucy,
and his horse was looking great as well.

Heather Hoyns on Just Bill (7 yr. old grade gelding on his first 100)
and Allan Welles on Mr. T (Morgan stallion - first 100) were riding
together, and I heard they both finished, but I don't know the order. I
saw them at 1:30 a.m. at the 94.5 mile mark and they were doing fine.

The final two riders were Deena Smith McDonald on Nicodemus (black Arab
gelding) and Jeff Kavy on Bud (Appaloosa gelding) and they were having
lots of fun, going slow, and both horses looked great. Nancy told me
that they finished at 4:30 a.m.

I don't know anything about BC on the 100.

The day was brutally hot and humid. 18 started the 50, 19 started the
100. 4 were pulled at the first hold (mile 18) - two of them tied up
rather severely, two were lame. One horse, who pulled at mile 60, later
coliced and had to be shipped to Rochester Equine Clinic for further
treatment. I haven't heard word on how he is doing.

I hope somebody from ride management posts official results at some
point. It was a fun time. The vets were great, and it was a real
pleasure to work with them. I learned a lot about how to take care of
your horse on a hot day.

Chelle