Re: How I may have killed Bucky

Vinny's wife here.....

Indeed, Vinny and Buck have a definite bond.  Vinny has only been riding 4
years and Buck came to us quite green as an eight year old two years ago.
Vinny has worked with him through many fears.  Because of that, Bucky does
trust Vinny like no other and, like so many big-hearted horses, would indeed
do anything for him, including "go on" when perhaps he shouldn't.

I see another potential lesson in this situation.  Get to know your own
horse and do not depend upon the vets to make ALL the decisions for you.  I
think this goes without saying for most experienced endurance riders, but
novices still might do the opposite.  Learn about metabolics and learn what
is right for your OWN horse.  There may come a time when only you know best
because you know what is normal for YOUR horse.  Yes, there will be times
when problems slip through the hands of both riders and vets, experienced
and novice, but, I think it's important that we work WITH our ride vets and
not lay all the burden on them in making a decision as to whether we go on,
or not.  While it may be hard to do, there may come a time when a vet might
pass your horse yet you might have to pull him/her because you see something
they cannot.  The scary thing about this whole situation is that none of us
are completely immune to it.

Finally, I must say that when aid was needed at this ride, it was right
there.  Fellow endurance riders, as they always will, shone their very
brightest in this dark situation.  Riders, their friends and spouses, even
weekend pleasure riders unassociated with the ride came out of no where to
administer their assistance.  The vets jumped in there and moved like
greased lightning as this horse was literally moments from death.  I was
astounded by how quickly they were BOTH at his side.  Moments later, Carol
Wingate, DVM, a competitor at the ride, was also there volunteering her
expertise as a fellow endurance rider and a vet.  Jim Wiseman held IV bags
over his head for at least two hours.  Of course, when Bucky appeared out of
immediate danger and the mood lightened a bit, we teased him that he was
just trying to keep those arms in shape for his upcoming Pan Am gig!  Lisa
Winburn must be thanked for her sprint to the vet check area to retrieve the
vets, expressing the urgency of the situation by demanding that they come
"NOW!"  Literally, 2 minutes after her sprint they were there.  As an RN
herself, she then assisted with the entire process of emergency care. She
then gave ME a place to sleep that night in her Featherlite, hauled me, my
own horse and all my massive amount of junk back
to Kentucky for me.  Maggie from Tennessee (sorry! can't remember her last
name!) jumped in there with ice and water, a cooler and helped hold Bucky up
the many times after he was up on his feet when his knees were buckling.
And, Susan Philpot and Dee Dee sat Lisa and I down after Bucky left for the
hospital and saw to it that we were fed, watered and electrolyted.  I know I
am forgetting many other names, but I remember your faces and our gratitude
will never expressed enough.  Bucky was very, very fortunate to have such
excellent care.

Susan Swope-Attardi
AERC Southeast Region
Kentucky