Bucky

No Vinnie you did not kill Bucky.  You did everything right and obviously did
all that you could to help him.  I rode the LD at IDRA  and know just how hot
it was.  The fact that you walked seven miles in the heat is a testimony to
your dedication to your horse. AND you stood at his head helping to hold him
up for most of that 3 hours when you looked like you were ready to drop
yourself!

I think Heidi's suggestion is a good one--look for an underlying cause that
may have caused the crash under the adverse conditions we had this week end.
Try to be aware of those subtle changes in your horse that an outsider might
not see.  If you see  or feel any changes, point it out to the vet so he can
advise you.

It is certain that the people that were at the ride will be more aware of
what might happen on a hot and humid day and be more careful than they would
have been before your horse got sick.  We all learn from experience, both
good and bad.

Last year at a ride--a hot August ride in the same area as IDRA-- I felt that
my horse didn't feel right. The trail was poorly marked and I had gotten lost
several times.  It was time to quit for both me and my horse.  It was her
first ride and  I had not seen anyone for a while.  So I stopped someone and
had them call 911.  Now that REALLY caused a stir!  The park ranger came, the
vets and a trailer.  I felt kinda foolish but it was the right decision.  The
mare told me she was tired and the next day she had a little heat in both
front tendons.   It happens to everyone.

Keep us posted about Bucky.  We all care.

Carol Wingate  DVM