Introduction

Hi, I just joined the list and thought I would introduce myself.  My name is
Juli Bechard and I have a five year old Paso Fino that I just started
conditioning for endurance riding.  We just started last week, so we are
still in the 3-5 mile walk/corto (Paso for a trot) stage.  I was just
wondering if anyone else here has ridden a gaited horse in endurance.  I know
my Alpine can go forever if he wants to...I usually get tired way before he
does, so I thought this would be the sport for him.  Anyway, we just moved
out to the country, and he moved into my backyard for the first time.   I've
never had sole care of a horse, it's kind of nice to get up in the morning,
feed, turnout, then ride.  We have access to hundreds of miles of trails off
the back of my property, so conditioning shouldn't be too much of a problem.
If anyone has any suggestions for teaching them to trail ride by themselves
without any theatrics, I'd love to hear them.  I plan to start trying this
morning after he digests breakfast.  Usually we ride with my roommates 16
year old thoroughbred and her 2 year old Appaloosa ponying along, but the TB
is lame this morning, and I have the feeling Alpine needs to learn to go out
by himself.  It ought to be interesting!  Well, I have rambled long enough,
and if you've reached this far in this post, I commend you on it.  Thank you!

Juli Bechard (Dakoiah@aol.com) and
Alpine-5 year old palomino Paso Fino, 14.1 hh, goofy as heck!