re:horses wanted

Annette Shumway wildpony@san.rr.com
Just a lurker here, but the auction can be (sadly) a very good
place to get a "cheap" horse. But you do need to know what to
look for. I worked at a horse ranch that did hour ride rentals.
They got all of the horses from auction and did not pay more
than $500. for any of them. They bought mostly Quarter types.
These horses were suitable for very beginners, and were sound
doing 10 to 15 one hour trail rides per week.  Some were shod,
some were not.  We only had two horses not work out, both not
suitable for beginners.  The ranch owner just took them back to
auction, got within $50. of what she had paid for them and
bought new horses.

Obviously, this is not how most people want to have their horses
end up, and I would never advocate sending a horse to auction,
but at least these horses got a chance to miss the killer.  The
ranch has since closed, the better horses were sold privately,
but the rest went back to auction.

At auction the unbroke Arabs went for under $200.....The most I
ever saw an Arab sell for (with papers) is $450.  This was about
four years ago, but I doubt much has changed.

I have had several Arabs given to me from breeders (as well as
other breeds). These owners knew I would not keep these horses,
but that I would break them, or re-school them and make them
suitable for an intermediate rider.  The horses sold for $1000.
to $2300 and I lost money on every one.  But I won, cause I got
to have them for a while, 6 months to 1.5 years, and I was able
to give them a chance at the world.

Now I have a BLM Mustang.....  same story, different breed.

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-