Thyroid Update

Phoenix has been on thyroid medication for the last month for a hypothyroid
condition.  My vet was out today to draw blood for the latest T-4 count to
see how he is doing.

Well, I can tell you how he is doing without waiting for the blood results.
His cresty neck, large withers and even larger butt are all normal looking
now.  When I used the weight tape on him a month ago, he weighed in at a
whopping 1,250 lbs.  The same tape is showing him at a weight of 1,100 lbs as
of last Wednesday.  He actually fits into my 2 horse trailer now!!!!
Tomorrow is weigh in date....as all of us know, when on a diet, only weigh
yourself once a week :-)  I can hardly wait to see what the new weight is.  I
do know that everytime I ride, I have to cinch my saddle a little
tighter...we are at the point of moving the cinch up on the off side because
we have ran out of holes on the near side!!!!

The other thing that tells me he is feeling fine is how he spooks on the
trail.  If a section of long grass is bent the opposite direction of the rest
of the grass...he will spook.  At one point, Phoenix quit spooking -- I
thought, finally the horse is maturing and becoming quiet.  I figured all
those miles and 24 hour pasture turnout finally paid off.  How wrong I
was!!!!  The poor pony was sick -- plain and simple.

I'm thrilled that Phoenix is doing so well and can't wait for next ride
season.  Then we are going to hit it hard and compete for the Rookie of the
Year award in our region.  The remainder of this season we are going to be
doing controlled conditioning rides and getting him back in shape.  Who
knows, I may even do some winter rider (OK, don't hold your breath!!!!)

Last season, I rode HW and completed 4 rides and placed in all 4.  Even at
that time, Phoenix was hypothyroid.  I was too stupid to realize that his
calm behavior indicated that anything was wrong with him.  I guess we all
have something to learn from our horses.

Diane & Phoenix (yo Mom, take some of my medicine and get down to LW!!!)