probiotics and horses stomaches revisited

Maureen A. Fager mauree_fager@mei.memec.com
Hi Danielle,
In a horses stomach there is a line of delineation called the "Margo Plicatcus"  (please don't mind the misspelling).  Above this line the stomach is not acidic, below this line, it is.  I was fortunate to have taken Animal Anatomy & Phisiology with one of the authors of the book you quoted, the Late Dr. Tom Spurgeon.
Although probiotics did'nt come up, we once in class got a "fresh stomach" from a horse put down in the vet hospital, and it had been pro-sected out for us.  In this stomach, above the margo plicatus, where many attached bot fly larva.  Below the line, there were none as they would have been destroved by the somach acid.
Because the stomach is not completly acidic, this may help the probiotics survive. Thanks for a great questiion.  Bye for now,
Maureen and Blaze

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-