Second 50 miler (Filthy Fifty) *little long*

Hi all, what a busy, wonderful, awful weekend we just had.
Did a 50 at the Klickitat Trek. Wonderful camp, Marilyn
Milestone (and crew) are the BEST! Vets were great,
especially Dr. Mike Foss! My horse did excellent! 65
started, 57 finished, we were 22 at a time of 7:37. Very
flat for the most part, but curvy and DUSTY! I showered
last night, and it looked like I was showering in chocolate
milk!!! (Don't even want to discuss nose blowing! Yuk!)
Great recoveries on Donte, saddle seemed to do well (new
Thorowgood) although the buckle under the flap was folded
slightly and gave me a great "saddle sore" from about the
25 mile marker to the end.
Weather was great, most riders were very polite, and fun to
ride with. ALOT of stressed horses Sat. though, including
Rick's boy Classy. He had poor gut sounds at the stop and
go check at 14 miles. The vets said that seemed to be
common that morning, but not to worry and encourage eating
and drinking. The next twelve mile loop I rode with Rick,
nothing earth shattering, nice easy riding, cantering and
trotting along nicely. Both drank at the water before the
45 min. hold. Gut sounds still poor on Classy, but a little
better. Rick got turned around on the next loop (we were no
longer together) and ended up back at the out vet. (did an
extra 10 miles probably) Headed into camp, another 10
miles, Classy wouldn't drink at all. In camp, pulsed down
and trotted out fine, cleared to continue. Rick took him to
camp to feed/water, etc. and did not like how he looked.
Classy laid down almost immediately. I stayed for a few
min. late from my hold but then left. He colicked. IV's,
stomach tube, the works. Ended up back at Dr. Foss's clinic
in Hood River and we pick him up tomorrow. Did better
through the night, but what a scare. We had electrolyted
him, but for him it wasn't enough. Dr. Foss suggested a
double dose the night before and 2 hours prior to ride, and
then during, to encourage drinking, as well as changing
brands (don't know what we used, orange label, can't
remember the brand, but it was sold to us by our vet who
works on the track, but Dr. Foss said it wasn't for
endurance horses, not bad, just not for our guys) Anyway,
he is going to be better, but what a scare, lucky Rick
wasn't someone out to just "win". It would have been a case
of a horse dying at the end of a ride. Alot of pulled
horses and metabolic imbalances.

Interesting though, I always ride alot of hills, and this
ride is fairly flat and curvy, found out that I use
different muscles on each type of terrain, I was praying
for hills, so was Donte. I rode with Julie (Rayna777) and
they would both see a hill and just charge it. Seemed
happiest going up!!!

I had a great time, keeping the kleenex handy and I GOT MY
SWEATSHIRT!!! YAY!

 Heidi (and THE Mighte El Donte - who could have done 75 he
bucked and whirled and reared on the picket line afterwards
- not me though!! Still moving slow!)
===
                   /\_/\~