RE: RE: Ride vetting

Gwen:

I offer the following:

21) "Practice of veterinary medicine" means: (a) To diagnose, treat,
correct, change, relieve, or prevent animal disease, deformity, defect,
injury, or other physical or mental conditions; including the prescription
or administration of any drug, medicine, biologic, apparatus application,
anesthetic, or other therapeutic or diagnostic substance or technique, and
the use of any obstetrical procedure or any manual or mechanical procedure
for artificial insemination, for testing or examining for pregnancy,
fertility evaluation, embryo transplant, grading of fresh semen, or to
render advice or recommendation with regard to any of the above. (b) To
represent, directly or indirectly, publicly or privately, an ability and
willingness to do any act described in subsection (21)(a) of this section.
(c) To use any title, words, abbreviations or letter in a manner or under
circumstances which induce the belief that the person using them is
qualified to do any act described in subsection (21)(a) of this section,
except where such person is a licensed veterinarian.

The bold, italics and underline are mine to point out the particular clause
in one state's statutes. I have seen a decree handed down by a state board
that stated in particular, the person whose license was canceled was not to
use the designation "DVM" in any manner that implied that they were a
licensed vet in that state.

This is why I ask all ride camp members to read their particular state's
regulations and/ or confer with their states Veterinary Board in these
matters. The conjecture promulgated by individuals making broad statements
that assume to cover all circumstances, or just being arguementive like Joe,
leads to much confusion in the ranks.

As an example, this particular clause is found in several states
regulations. However, I could not find any referenced to it in the state of
Colorado so it most likely does not apply. Some states are much more liberal
than others.  As another example, here in Idaho Equine massage and dentistry
are definitively reserved for licensed vets. Many other states recognize
these as technical trades and allow non-vets to practice them.

So, again, please every one do your homework prior to making broad
statements on such subjects where the welfare of the AERC can be put at
risk.

Bob Morris
Morris Endurance Enterprises
Boise, ID,