RE:walnut trees

Kiwi Spa30@cad.canterbury.ac.nz
>> "Patricia O'Rourke" <rainbow.ranch@mindspring.com>
It's my understanding that English Walnut trees are safe, but Black Walnut
is so toxic that horses will founder just from standing on shavings that
contain a little Black
Walnut in the mixture.  A friend just lost a couple of sheep that nibbled on
some BW leaves.  IT has been my experience that sheep and goats are much
less susceptible to toxic plants than horses, so I think the best thing
would be to have the local county Extension Agent or other skilled botanist
out to correctly identify the tree before exposing horses to it.

Patty

Is it the tannin in the black walnut that gets the reaction or what?
We nearly lost a hogget through eating black walnut "flowers" that had fallen
on the ground.  She spent several hours panting, frothing at the mouth, elevated
heart rate etc.  Not nice to see, and we were really surprised that
she lived.
On the other hand our horses prune the trees back hard, and will bark them,
so far with no ill effects.  Both the dogs and horses eat the nuts.  Your
post has made me wonder just how safe this is?

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-