Re: RC: RE: Ride vetting

On Sun, 27 Jun 1999 16:54:12 -0600, "Bob Morris" <bobmorris@rmci.net> wrote:

>This is an interesting subject that most riders are unaware of.

>FIRST You should check your own particular state statutes (they are all on
>line) for Veterinarian qualifications. In most states the act of diagnosis
>of an animal is covered and requires a LICENSED VETERINARIAN.

Why are we beating this dead horse?

>When you have your equine checked at the pre-ride check, this is a diagnosis
>as to the condition of the animal and its ability to withstand the rigors of
>the ride. When you have the equine checked at a vet stop this is again a
>diagnosis of the condition of the animal as to its fitness and if not fit
>the reason therefore. (lame, exhausted, tying up, colic, and so on)

Sorry, Bob, but "diagnosis" refers to determining the cause of an illness or
injury, and is quite different from judging either fitness to continue or Best
Condition.  Before the AERC required a vet at each vet check I once served as a
"lay vet" to check the horses at a ride vet check (where there weren't enough
vets to cover all the open checks), and I am not a veterinarian.  I am quite
sure that the state authorities were totally unconcerned.

>Another point, just because the person attended and graduated from
>university with a degree in veterinary medicine they do not necessarily have
>the privilege to use DVM after their name, that is a state veterinary board
>granting.

Do you have a cite for that?  I believe DVM means "Doctor of Veterinary
Medicine" and identifies the degree conferred by the University, not a licensing
board.

>Glad to discuss this further if any one is interested.

Why?  This is a non-problem.  Were it not for some personal animosities within
one Region we wouldn't be discussing it at all.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net