Re: Probiotics Question

Danielle McNeil danielle_mcneil@yahoo.com

Linda Flemmer wrote:

>When you referred to the equine stomach taking 24 hours to empty
>- was it perhaps referring to passage through the complete gut vs
>just the stomach (gastrum)?

Linda,

Thanks for your writeup --- interesting theories to consider :->.
The book here says (quoted from the text), "Both the horse and the
pig require a full day's fast (24 hours) to empty a full stomach.
The stomach of a nursing foal empties slowly, but in an adult pony
liquid passes from the stomach to the cecum in 2 hours but requires
50 hours to go through the large colon.  This gives time for microbial
digestion".  This was in reference to liquids.

It also stated that "Water may pass through a full stomach without
diluting the contents to any great extent (under 10% in the horse).
Water ingested when the stomach is nearly empty will mix more readily
with the stomach contents than if the stomach is full.  The more fluid
the consistancy of the food, the sooner it leaves the stomach".

Okay, my fingers are pooped and hopefully I am following the "Fair Use"
in copyright laws, LOL!  Okay, so if I get this right then, probiotics
administered with plenty of fluid have half a chance of surviving.  I don't
know if the probiotic companies recommend this kind of feeding --- never
bought the stuff before so haven't read a label.

Any ideas, or have I bored everyone?

Thanks again, and again, and...

Danielle (someday I have got to subscribe, huh? LOL!)

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-