-----Original Message-----
From: guest@endurance.net [mailto:guest@endurance.net]

Danielle McNeil
Thanks for the replies Dr. Smith and Susan, but a few things still
"bug" me (no pun intended :-)).  Could you clarify, pleeeaaasee???

<SNIP> Anyway, the
the book states that the stomach pH is about 1.3 to 5 (I know, wide range)
but it needs to be acidic enough to split the enzyme precursor pepsinogen
into pepsin.  From Susan's webpage, it seems that just a small drop in cecal
pH kills certain species of microflora.  They can survive the stomach's pH? <SNIP>

Also, the book mentions that although the stomach of carnivores will empty in
a couple of hours, the stomach of a horse and pig requires 24 hours to empty
if the animal has eaten a large meal (the stomach is full).