Rattlesnakes and Kidney bruises

What a combination of topics!  Kidney bruises and Rattlesnakes

First for the Kidney bruises.  I too suffer from an occasional bout of
kidney trauma when riding.  There is no pattern to the problem.  I can go
for months with no problem and then suddenly develop all the signs of a
major kidney attack.

A good back support brace was recommended to support the kidney area.  I
wore it but don't know if it helped because I didn't have another kidney
attack for a long time. I have never had the problem develop while riding.
It always starts after the ride is over.  The first time it happened I
thought I would die.  If I had had to drive home myself, it would not have
been possible.

My doctor ran a number of tests on the Monday following the ride, but could
not really find a problem. He suggested that with all the pounding our
internal organs take, that any minor irritation or infection could escalate
fast.  He did give me what I graphically call the "Pee Orange Pills" because
that is exactly what they make you do! They also immediately (as in 5
minutes) stop the pain and discomfort.  I only need them once or twice a
year but I never go to a ride without them. They are in my saddle bags, the
horse trailer and my truck.  I never want to go through another ride home
doubled up on the seat again!

Now for the Rattlesnakes!  Dear Weenie--you are not alone.  I have a total
phobia about rattlesnakes.  In fact, I don't cope with any snakes very well.
I live in the desert area of Utah and have ridden in the central coast of
California in the ranches around Pasa Robles in July.  The good news--I have
only seen two rattlers in 20 years and they were no immediate threat to me.
The bad news--my fear of running into them still affects me in spite of the
fact that I know the risk is really minimal.

I have found that the more training I get in being "tuned in" to my
surroundings, the more confident I become that I would react appropriately.
I used to worry that I would either throw up or faint--some endurance rider.
Also the more time I spend riding and hiking, the less I worry about snakes.
I think you can desensitize yourself a little by increasing your exposure.
Good Luck!

Joane and the Herd
Price, Utah