RE: Update on fetlock injury, postvet exam.

Strongly urge you to get your horse to an experienced "leg" vet and get it
ultrasounded. My mare strained a suspensery ligament, was never sore to
palpation, had no heat or filling after the first three days and only a
slight lameness when circling in one direction only. The first vet
completely missed the injury. I got my horse to a track vet who is also a
serious rider. The ultrasound showed the injured tissue plainly. Two months
down the road, a second ultrasound showed significant healing but the
injured area was still plainly seen. We are about 6 months past the injury
now and have started careful conditioning. I followed the vets instructions
carefully. This meant confinement to a stall and/or very small sawdust
bedded pen (16' X 24') for 4 months with controlled, progressive exercise.
Turning a horse loose in a corral or field is just plain gambling with his
soundness and chance of reinjury. Yeah, you don't want to imprison you
horse. He hates it, you hate it, he hates it more and you feel rotten. You
want to believe that he'll be quiet and calm while turned out and not run
across the corral and do a sliding stop that undoes all the tissue repair.
He sensible, he'll never do anything more than a walk out there, right?
WRONG!!!!!! If your horse does have a real soft tissue injury then grit your
teeth and get serious about doing what it takes to let it heal properly.

I've noticed a tendency in vets that don't have ultrasound machines to
underestimate the seriousness of an injury and tell the horse owner what
they want to hear. I had a horse with a chronic suspensery injury (1 1/2
yrears) because of trusting my vets advice. No ultrasound available on Oahu
back then either. Lucky for me and my horse, she was sidelined with an
injury and a track experienced vet from CA subbed for her. He looked at my
horse (slightly off again) and told me to lock him up. After 30 days I got
to start handwalking him. We walked for a long time before he got to start
trotting. He came around sound in that leg and stayed sound.It was miserable
to do but it worked. Sorry to make this note so long but this is one of my
pet peeves. Investigate throughly by taking advantage of the great
diagnostic tools that are now available then take the conservative route
towards healing it. It'll pay off.

Bonnie Snodgrass
Southern Maryland