Ride Entry Refunds

k s swigart katswig@earthlink.net
>If the ride information states clearly that there is a refund >policy, with conditions, then a rider could expect a refund if >those conditions are met.  Frankly, I find it very generous of >ride managers to offer a refund.

Actually, from a legal aspect, exactly the opposite would most likely be true.  Unless a non-refund policy is clearly stated on the entry, or it states that you are paying for entering the ride, not riding the ride (and actually riding the ride if you have a paid entry is included).  To keep a payment for a "product" that the customer never receives without warning these people in advance that this is your intent is of dubious legality, especially in an "industry" where the standard is to provide a refund (most rides, at least in the PS/SW DO provide a refund--and I don't pre-enter those that have a stated "no refund" policy).  However, even in retail sales, vendors who will not refund customer funds will clearly state this policy before the time of purchase.

And Sandy is mistaken with regards to whether "in the show world" refunds are provided.  In the Arab show world that this is the case (except you CAN get a refund if you ask for it before the entry deadline--less an administrative fee--if you have a vet's report saying the horse is unfit).  In the AHSA H/J shows that I have attended, it is only the stall fees (and a $25 administrative fee) that is non-refundable.  And when my mare bowed her tendon 5 days before a show, I received a full refund; I told them I could send them a vet statement to that effect (as was outlined in the premium as being necessary), but they told me not to bother--they just sent me my money back.

Whatever the case may be for horse shows, I have NEVER seen a premium that did not have it's refund policy clearly stated (if they accepted pre-entries).

So yep, if I sent an entry in to a ride that did not clearly state on the entry form that they intended to keep all (or part) of my money if I didn't ride, then I'd be pretty peeved.  And, I think, quite justifiably so.

kat
Orange County, Calif.

p.s.  The ride that I just did let me write the check AFTER the ride was over, as the ride manager felt it was easier than having to refund part of my money if it worked out that I didn't ride all 5 days.

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-