RE: trailer tying?? Pet Peeves

Title: Re: trailer tying?? Pet Peeves
----Original Message-----
From: April [mailto:adlee@bigfoot.com]

Well, go right ahead and park elsewhere, then

We do...  part of it is that most folks who tie out around here tie the buckets, feeders, & haynets to the trailer, too.  Everything clanks all night long.  You avoided that with the buckets on the ground.

You sounded very defensive in your post, and I know that you just started the sport.  Be open to other methods of restraining your horse at camp that are safe & cheap!  If you must tie to the trailer, check the trailer over VERY carefully for sharp edges.  That's where I see most of the accidents happen.  Don't forget the license plate if it is mounted down low!  It could be a scalpel the way it cuts!

During the ride, the extra horse that was along went visiting.  I'm hearing many more stories about that than I am about trailer tying problems.

As with everything, it comes back to the right horse, the right training, and VISIBILITY.  If the horses can't see the barrier, they can't respect it.  As I said earlier, we use a 4" wide white tape with a hot wire running through it.  It looks like a white board fence.  I've seen loose horses come to a screeching halt when they run towards it, expecting it to be solid.  That doesn't hold true for narrow or yellow/black tapes and wires!

If your horse "challenges" over a fence, double fence him so he can't touch noses with a "friend" and take fencing/corrals down by pushing or striking out.

Some horses bolt forwards rather than back off of an electric fence - one of mine did that.  We made other arrangements for him.  Blankets can block the charge, too.  Beware of covered up hides!

Corrals that aren't anchored to the ground can be pushed over.  I recently saw a PVC corral where the PVC glue had let loose.  The horse knew EXACTLY where to flip his head to dismantle the panel and walk out.

Sure accidents can happen, but you do what you can to minimize the risks and keep going

It's possible to bring a rope & tie to it overhead - ie picket.  It would get the horse away from the sharp edges and cost what ever the hank of rope ran (pretty minimal).  A cheaper method than investing in portable corrals or solar fence chargers.  Remember to use tree savers if you picket to trees.  We've been known to tie to the trailer (up high) and to the truck (thru each door & knotted on top) or to another trailer if there weren't trees available.  Don't make the mistake that my friend did - he tied to the side mirror.  No mirror on the way home!  :-)

The LAST thing I ever want to hear is "Loose Horse" or "Get the Vet!" and the horse happens to be mine.

Linda Flemmer