Re: RC: RE: walnut trees

I think it is black walnut that is toxic.
jasmine
At 09:23 AM 6/19/99 -0700, Karen Sullivan wrote:

>I have always heard that walnut shavings were toxic to horses, but are the
>trees to be avoided in pastures?  I have a friend who is cross fencing for
>field rotation & a walnut tree is along a property line where she would
>like to place one of the fields.  Does she need to completely avoid the
>tree or when the nuts fall, leaves fall, etc.?
>
>Thanks
>Vicki Wheeler
>
>[Karen Sullivan]  I have had horses pastured with English Walnut trees
(about 120 trees) for 9 years,  with no apparent ill effects.  I even see
them eating the leaves occasionally.  When we approach harvest, I take the
horses off the pasture until all the walnuts are picked up, as a
precaution. I do not see them eating the nuts.

>Then again,these horses get out on a regular basis, always have grazing on
the ground, and free-choice hay, etc.

>ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net,
http://www.endurance.net.
>ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-ÿ-

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-