RE: walnut trees

I have always heard that walnut shavings were toxic to horses, but are the
trees to be avoided in pastures?  I have a friend who is cross fencing for
field rotation & a walnut tree is along a property line where she would
like to place one of the fields.  Does she need to completely avoid the
tree or when the nuts fall, leaves fall, etc.?

Thanks
Vicki Wheeler

[Karen Sullivan]  I have had horses pastured with English Walnut trees (about 120 trees) for 9 years,  with no apparent ill effects.  I even see them eating the leaves occasionally.  When we approach harvest, I take the horses off the pasture until all the walnuts are picked up, as a precaution. I do not see them eating the nuts.

Then again,these horses get out on a regular basis, always have grazing on the ground, and free-choice hay, etc.

Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-Ý-