AERC Definition of LD

>EN President's message (I think) mentioned LD distance is coming back to a
>vote at the end of the year due to a petition that AERC received.  Look in
>your most recent EN for it since I don't have it at work.
>
>Linda

This is correct.  There is currently a petition being circulated (and
signatures counted and verified) that will change the definition of a
Limited Distance ride back to 25-35 miles from the current definition
of 0-49 miles.  I think that the required number of signatures have
been gathered, so this will appear on the ballots this fall along with
the votes for regional directors.

>Didn't I read somewhere that the LD definition has been changed back to
>25-49 miles?  I think this happened at Convention....
>
>Teddy

No, it didn't happen at convention.  I hope you didn't read it somewhere
other than in a discussion of some sort.  Maybe you heard about the
petition?

Don't want to be a stick in the mud here, and I know that this was
probably said tongue in cheek, but a 5 Mile Championship would most
certainly be out of the question.  I'm not trying to be stuffy here,
but this statement is part of the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt)
that was spread about the 0 - 49 rule.  The 0 - 49 rule was passed
in an attempt to prevent unsanctioned events from being held in
conjunction with a sanctioned event.  It was not passed so that
AERC could (or would) sanction 5 mile Limited Distance rides.  It was
not passed so that AERC could increase revenues by collecting fees
from riders on fun rides.  It was passed so that AERC could regulate
distance events associated with a sanctioned Endurance event.

Sorry, I'll step off of the soapbox now and take a deep breath.  I
think I just punched my own button.

Regards,

Lem Beason
Regional Director, AERC Central Region