Being Judged (was Look for a horse)

Jim,

  I can't speak for "most endurance riders," but I can speak for me, which
is what I was doing when replying to Sandy.  And I will speak for myself
again.  If I wanted to be judged on horsemanship or on all the little things
to get my horse to do something, I would (A) get a trainer, (B) show at the
local shows.

To understand my dislike of judging, you have to understand my personality,
which you may not after this e-mail, but I will try.  I am a quiet, shy
person.  Ok, I know it doesn't seem like it from all my talk on this list,
but that's my real personality.  I don't like people staring at me, which
also may not be apparent since I "insist" on riding bareback.  I don't do it
to get attention, I do it because that's what I'm most comfortable doing,
despite the staring and comments.

I like to figure things out outside of the prying eyes of others.  So I make
some mistakes, that's ok with me.  I'll figure it out and try to learn from
my mistakes.  But I don't want somebody else pointing out my mistakes.  I
don't take criticism very well.  I admit it.  Maybe it's because I like to
think I'm better than I am.  Maybe it's because I'm too sensitive.  Maybe
it's because most  people can't give constructive criticism without sounding
accusatory.  Maybe a combination of all.

So to minimize my own discomfort, I prefer NOT to be judged at horseback
riding.  Not officially.  This may sound selfish.  Ok, it is.  But I can
afford to be selfish in this because it's (A) not hurting my horse, and (B)
it's a HOBBY.  I get judged at work.  I get judged at school.  I get judged
when I go to pick up a &^%$* pizza.  I don't want to be judged at horseback
riding.  So I choose a discipline that does not require judging my horseback
riding.

And I doubt that CTRs is the only way to learn to take care of your horse
properly.  That's as narrow-minded as thinking that LDs is the only way to
get into endurance.

If others like to do CTRs, more power to them.  Go ahead, do it.  But I
doubt you'll catch me at one.

April

PS.  Yes, I can do a lot of things with my horse (including back up between
two trees).  He's a good horse.  But that doesn't mean I want to be judged
on it.