Re: Looking for a horse

Why is "being judged" such a big problem? I fail to understand why most
endurance riders have a fetish against "being judged". CTR, particularly
NATRC, teaches you how to best care for your horse. Look at the results
at the Tevis over the past many years. NATRC riders completion rate is
over 90% whereas the average completion rate for the Tevis is around 50%
(all horses included). What does riding LD rides teach you? The horsemanship
judging in NATRC is designed to teach you how to take your horse cross
country and really learn how to take care of the horse. As for the judging
of the rider, this is meaningles unless it is to the benefit of the horse.
I will admit that our rules do not permit riding bareback (how would you
judge bareback riders?). As to the backing between two trees, this is a
necessary capability that a horse must learn (at least you admit you can
do it!).

Sorry for the soapbox, but it really irks me that most endurance riders
won't even try CTR (NATRC). It is still the best learning place for
young horses, even if you want to do endurance. You will learn how to
take care of your horse so that he/she will continue to be usable even
into late age (read high 20's).

-Jim