CTR for beginners

OK, I'm going to toss in my $.02 worth on what can be learned from doing
CTR's (Competitive Trail Rides).  Keep in mind, many people new to distance
riding, are also somewhat new to horses. They bought a horse, and have heard
about distance riding. To toss someone with limited experience out on an
endurance ride can be asking for disaster. We have all see the "weekend
trail warriors" out on the rides. Just because they have been trotting and
galloping around the local trails, does not mean they have a clue as to how
to get a horse through a distance ride. Here is what NATRC taught me, years
ago, that helped me then do endurance successfully. Pacing: By having a set
pace, that everyone is to maintain, you will learn how to pace your horse
over a given course. After doing years of NATRC, when I did Tevis, I looked
at the map, distances, terrain etc. and told my crew what times I would be
arriving at the vet checks. I had never seen the trail, but knew where I
could go faster, and where I would be slower. I arrived within 5 min. of my
goals. Care on the trail: Without having a "crew' you will learn how to
relax and cool your own horse to get the P&R down to the criteria needed.
Manners of the horse: This is a no brainer. Ask any vet if he would prefer a
horse that stands for the vet, trots on command etc., or one that squirms,
flinches and tosses his head etc. Now, the part many endurance riders hate,
Judging of the rider: Yes, good balanced trail equitation will help your
horse get through the ride. Learning to wait before leaving for the horse
behind you on the trail to get his P&R, or get a drink of water is just good
manners. Having a clean horse, helps prevent rubs from dirt under tack. Also
cleaning the horse makes the rider check him from head to toe for any rubs,
sores etc. As far as obstacles, you have the right to refuse any obstacle
they present to you. You also have a separate score care for the rider, and
one for the horse at NATRC. You don't HAVE to care about the horsemanship
judging. (but it really is not that bad) I could go on, but this is long
already. Just keep in mind, for a new person starting out, doing a few CTR's
might help to prepare them for endurance.

Jonni in so. Calif.