Re: RC: CTR rides not the same everywhere

In a message dated 6/16/99 3:13:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dgerman@earthlink.net writes:

<<
 So, maybe you would like doing CTR, just not NATRC CTR. C'mon up to
 Ohio!

I've been competing in NATRC for about the last 10 years and AERC the last 5.
 I love both.   NATRC is a great way for a rookie endurance rider to learn
about taking care of a distance horse.  I have never seen an obstacle that I
thought was unsafe.  Most of the obstacles that we've had have shown me areas
that I needed to work on with Harca (i.e. more control!).  I think there is a
real phobia about being judged on your horsemanship -- but your horsemanship
DOES affect your horse.  I'd rather figure that out BEFORE what I'm doing
causes my horse a problem.  I also enjoy the mental challenge of NATRC.  Sure
its fun to just bee-bop down the trail without a care in the world (other
than when the next vet check is and if THIS is a good spot to take that
desperately needed potty break).  However, at an NATRC ride you get breaks in
all that fun and you get to do an obstacle.  At first, the obstacles are
(let's face it) kind of humilliating.  But, as the rides progress and your
skill level increases, you actually start to enjoy showing off this crazy
horse who used to barely whoa and now can open a gate (with some help from
you), negotiate a difficult trail with out causing you great bodily harm, and
just in general demonstrate what a great trail horse he is.  Don't get me
wrong there is still some humilliation involved every now and then --
probably more potential than at an endurance ride -- but it is great fun.
And, NATRC riders know how to laugh, support, encourage, teach, learn (hmmm,
sounds like endurance riders too, eh?).

I'm thinking that all these stories about NATRC are based on stuff that
happened back in the dark ages (pre-1989?). These days, at least in
California, most obstacles are based on natural terrain and are not contrived
(this does exclude the two Championship rides I attended in Texas & Colorado
-- yes, I have to admit some contrived obstacles were seen, but all of those
horses and riders were up to the challenge.)  If you haven't tried an NATRC
ride recently, come on out and give it a shot -- it's a hoot!  And, if you
don't like being judged on your horsemanship---don't read the scorecard!

Sylvia
If you have a 1,000 mile AERC horse come to the NATRC Championship Challenge
in Santa Ynez, CA 10/22-24, 1999,  2 days/80 miles.  Contact me for an entry.