Re: RC: wondering about pre-entries

>I'm curious regarding why some rides require pre-entries and some do not... I
>know the few NW rides I've inquired into do not require pre-entry, you just
>show up with money in hand :-)  Do the NW rides just "know" that enough
>people will show up... but not too many so they don't have to limit entries?
>What about new rides... do you just cross your fingers and hope enough show
>up... or require pre-entries so you can cancel if necessary?  Seems like
>pre-entries would make it a lot easier to calculate completion awards
>necessary, among other things.
>
>Trying to learn...
>
>Karen Bratcher & Bender (we saw a bear today on "our" mountain, for the first
>time outside of a zoo or a TV :-)
>Hayden ID

Karen,

Me again.  I've been to a few NW rides, and can say that there are some
differences by region.

There are lots of factors that make pre-entry desirable for a RM.  Those
uninterested in the details of putting on a ride should hit the delete
key...[now].

- the biggest is the amount of entries, distances offered...
- which determines the number of vets ( big leap of faith to have 4 this year)
- prepurchase of completion awards, and not wanting to run short
- the choice to have a ride with a high-quality catered meal on Saturday night
- the choice to feed riders and their horses all day, the day of the ride
-the choice to have all the paperwork done, so that riders can simply pick
up their packets/no lines
-knowing how much water to put out on trail
- how much feed to have my feed store sponsor deliver
-having enough volunteers for P&R, holding horses, offering food/drink to
riders, replenishing feed
-telling the photographer how many riders to have film for
-having enough forms repro'ed
- how many porta-potties to order for ridecamp
- how many entries for my sponsors to send goodies for

For last year's ride, I was very happy to get completed evaluation forms
from 1/3 of the 98 entries, most of these in the mail.

Among other things, I asked:
Did you think the entry fee was appropriate considering the extras
provided, or do you prefer a no-frills ride for less money?

This was a fill-in.  I got 3 who wanted a cheaper entry, by $5-10.   One
said "I would consider ride fees of $10-15 *more* still reasonable".  One
said"appropriate, but I like no frills also.  I like rider food at the vet
checks".  Everyone else used the word "appropriate".

So, for our region, I think I'm on the right track.  A large majority of
the folks who replied prefer these extras, which require preplanning, and
hence pre-entry to avoid fiscal disaster.

Fiscal disasters can happen through other means of course.  Torrential
rains with slippery trails, this happened to one very experienced RM,
nothing she could do.  We lost 9 riders last year due to high heat right
before the ride.

I've been to rides that cost as much as mine ($80/60) and don't offer any
rider amenities--but everyone's situations vary.  I pay a flat fee of $1250
for the base camp--many rides don't have to pay any facilities charge at
all!  That's roughly $10/rider.  Vets costs are around $10/rider, too.
Meal $10/rider plus another $5-6 to cover volunteer meals (which include
radio people), another $6 in other food costs like fresh cut up fruit,
Gatorade.  Completion award, $10/rider.   So that's $51 before any other
expenses like marking ribbon, potties, office costs like paper and repro,
postage, PA rental, the photographers (we give the photos free), and lots
more.  The LD riders get a good deal for their $60, eh?

I'm not in any way trying to suggest that anybody else do theirs this way.
Just explaining why pre-entry is required.  A late fee of $10 applies to
entries after a certain date.  With a liberal refund policy, this all
balances out.

Lynne
in the throes of preparing for this year's ride, hitting up the sponsors
for good stuff
C'mon Arrowhead Water, Clif Bars, Granlund's Sweet Temptations: we have a
new sport for you to support!

Ontario, CA
Norco Riverdance Ride (PS) 9/4/99
and Rem-member Me, Celesteele