Re: RC: Old Dominion 50-we did it!

Hickory Ridge Arabians web page:
http://www.evansville.net/~hikryrdg
Angie, Well try this.   The night before the band on hte hill kept us awake
until after 11pm.  Up  at 3 to feed.  Thats 4 hours of sleep to do a 100
miler.  So I think most of us just ran on nerve.  Say what you want about
Duane, but he is one tough guy.  We rode at least one half of the ride with
each other.  His mare has no tail, so he cannot tail up a hill. Now get
this, at the bottom of Shermans gap, Duane gets of Sassy and begins to lead
her up hill.  He climed that hill, in FRONT of that mare.  We reached the
top of Shermans Gap, just as someone turned out the lights.  So I took the
lead going down hill.  All the way down, Duane was behing me calling out
for some guy named RALPH.  Out of Shermans GAp, you ride into the River
Crossing vet check.  I wasn't too sure he was going to get back on his
horse at that one.  But this crew had a serious discussion with him and off
we went.  So here we are at about the 85 mile mark and Jabask Knight(Irene)
my stallion does a big shy at a milk jug lantern in the river.  Thought I
was in for a bath, but we stayed with it and on we went.  Duane continues
to look for this guy Ralph  as we do some serious rode riding. No Ralph to
be found.  Pull into Liberty Hall, he is worse for the ware. 4.8 miles
left, can he make it?  More serious discussion from this crew.  Back in the
saddle, off we go for the last pull, up one more big hill.  By  the results
you can see he finished.  Don't think there was much left of him by the
time we crossed the finish line.  He is one tough cookie.  Now for the hard
pack.  It was hard.  Just as hard as is gets.  The river crossing was not
much in my opinion.  The water was real warm! Yech! Plenty of water on the
trail, you just had to find it sometimes. Saw lots of pads, a few easy
boots, a few ladies riding in sports bras, lots of tired crew folks
standing around in the middle of the night, tons, and tons and tons of
rocks, teriffic views, a few deer, no snakes and no bears.  I'm glad Irene
took me across the finish line and we are home safe and sound. However,
this is the last time Kevin Beard beats me across the finish line.  Power
to the Heavyweights..... Jerry Fruth
Standing JABASK KNIGHT
On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Rides wrote...

>Man! I can't believe Sarah's the only one who's posted.  Come on guys,
>the OD is a BIG ONE.  SOMEBODY was supposed to be keeping us us to speed.
.  Duane Barnett was top 10 on Sassy who I got from 4 sources