Re: RC: non refundable entry fees

In a message dated 6/15/99 8:46:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
blaircox@safeaccess.com writes:

<< y won't get a
 refund from the ride I was planing to attend last weekend. They cashed the
 check as soon as they received it! Never had that happen before in the 7
 years I've been going to Endurance Rides. Has anyone ever had that happen to
 them? Do any of you Ride Managers out there do this? I did call as soon as I
 found out that I wouldn't be going. (3 days before the ride) The lady I
 talked to said that was too late! Shame on my Mom for deciding to visit me
 from out of town!<g> >>

Just generally speaking, when I pay for something - or I GET paid for
something, I would expect to be able to cash the funds as soon as I choose,
or expect my check to be negotiated. Certainly from an RM's position, they
are paying out for awards, vets, food, etc., adn I wouldn't expect them to
pay out of their pocket and sit on my check. Some do and I don't know exactly
why except that it makes  a refund easier.

Was there a stated refund policy at this ride? If not in writing it sounds
like a bit of a  crap shoot. Not knowing what the policy is, honestly, I
think 3 days notice is not sufficient for a refund. If a horse is injured or
becomes ill, it would be nice if an RM issued a refund, but at that point, it
would be out of his or her pocket, and if this happened too many times,
pretty soon no one could afford to have a ride. In many cases, they will
offer an entry for the next year's ride, which we think is a fair compromise.
Certainly, if not going to the ride is a matter of choice and not, say, an
injured horse, that is a whole other pickle. Indeed, in a show, there are no
refunds given for any reason on most fees, and just a couple of nominal fees
are refundable with a vet's certification of illness or injury. In that case,
it could be several hundred dollars and AMMY owner is out let alone training
fees if with a big barn. So...I consider
an endurance ride to be a non-issue in most cases of refund. Most RMs do
refund up to a certain date - many are very liberal and I guess ultimately it
has to be up to each RM to offer only what is affordable in order to continue
to host the ride. Definitely it is worth while to rea and re-read the policy
on the ride entry.
san