Fwd: RC: Re: Conditioning Human Body for Endurance Rides

---- Begin included message ----
Certainly riding is important for conditioning for riding as it is specific
for the sport. I think that there are a lot of things that riders can do to
conditiion for endurance riding while not actually being on a horse. I also
think that regular personal  conditioning is also important. Running or
jogging can certainly be helpful for riding but other cardiovascular
exercises may do just as well or even better. Cycling is one that comes to
mind right away. Similar positioning and strengthening of the legs is very
helpful. Abdominal crunches on a daily basis strengthens the abdomen which
also helps stabilize the lower back which is often times a problem for
riders. Upper body strengthening is also important. Strong shoulders and arms
helps in controlling the horse (yeah, I know a well trained horse doesn't
require strength to control....but there are  always those times that
strength helps). Even just doing push ups and abd. crunches on a daily basis
has helped reduce ride stress for me. I do believe that it takes more then
just riding to condition as well as one might to ride endurance then just
riding.

Ed Roley & Sawyer
---- End included message ----