Re: Pony Power!

Kit wrote:
I love all these pony stories :)  Last year I went on this
20 mile ride through sand (it wasn't an endurance or CTR,
but I thought it would be good training).  One of the
guides was this 6' good sized adult gentleman who rode this
little bitty pony -- he was probably mid 13hh.  This pony
kept right up there all day with our walkers, and was still
rarin' to go in the evening.  I was really impressed!!
I have been reading these pony/small horse messages to my husband.  He said I should relate his story.  We came from a Walking Horse background.  Met some wonderful endurance riders who got us into the sport.  My husband donated his Walker to a children's home and bought a 3 year old Arabian gelding.  The horse grew to just under 15 hands.  When the horse was old enough, my husband rode him in a 25 mile LD ride to start his endurance career and some man made the comment, "Why are you riding such a small horse?"  My husband is 6 ft. tall. Well, that did it!  He sold the horse to a woman who is now competing on him.  My husband now regrets having sold that horse because (hind sight again) he says it was probably the best horse he ever had.  And we now know that the horse could have done 50s with him.

I guess the point is, ride the horse you want to and don't pay any attention to what others say.

Amber